Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Modified Body


Technology now acts as an extension of the body as society no longer works or lives without it. This reliance on technology has changed the way we work, communicate and live. Today work is highly reliant on technology as computers are essential for work in school, the “real world” and recreational purposes. It seems most school and “real world” work is done on computers, as it is where work is created, information is found and communication takes place. Technology liberates us from performing medial tasks, yet work is still frustrating. Work does not become easier as technology often creates more work and unforeseen problems. It is apparent how reliant we are on technology to work, but it is necessary to discuss how reliant we have become on technology to live our lives as the human body is increasingly intertwined with technology.

Mischa Peters article, “Exit Meat: Digital Bodies in a Virtual World”, examines the attitudes concerning “embodiment and subjectivity…on alternative brain-computer interfaces” and the idea that society is becoming posthuman (2003, p. 48). Humans and technology are blending together like never before as "brain-computer interfaces" have become a revolutionary practice for disabled individuals, as John Hockenberry discussed in his article, “The Next Brainiacs” (2001). Peters maps out four conceptual bodies: the natural body, the modified body, the enhanced body and the cyber body (p. 52). These bodies appear throughout cyberpunk novels and science articles that demonstrate issues of embodiment and subjectivity (p. 52). Particularly of concern is “the modified body” (p. 53). As Peters explains it is a body “that uses technology either as a necessity or as a commodity” (p. 53). It is useful to take a step back from the idea of where technology may take the human body in the future as cyberpunk displays and look at how technology is colliding with the human body now. I am an example of how technology is now blending with the human body and deal with issues related to embodiment, or as Peters may classify me as “ the modified body” (p. 53).

Four years ago I was diagnosed with type one diabetes. Type one diabetes is a chronic disease where an individual’s pancreas shuts down the production of insulin, the hormone needed to control the amount of glucose in blood. An individual with diabetes must properly manage their blood sugar levels and take insulin to avoid high blood sugar, which if exposed to over time can lead to health complications. I am fortunate enough to manage my disease with the use of an insulin pump and sensor. An insulin pump is a medical device connected to the body that constantly administers insulin into the body. Think external organ or artificial pancreas. The sensor, a continuous blood glucose monitor, is inserted into the skin by needle and leaves a tiny electrode under the skin that transmits wirelessly to the pump blood sugar readings. Advantages of the sensor include real-time blood sugar readings, alerting a user when they may have a high or low blood sugar reading. I no longer have to think about how I am feeling a sensor can tell me and I can then take the necessary precautions. This integration of technology and body creates an easier lifestyle that makes me forget my disease, but also a sign that my life is dependent on technology and has become intertwined with technology.

Society may constantly be connected to technology like cell phones and ipods, but I am literally always connected to technology and it has altered my relationship with technology. In terms of “the modified body” I do not willingly want to use an insulin pump or sensor, it is a necessity (p. 53). It is not part of me, but merely offers me something I need at a financial and physical price (p. 53). Financially because the insulin pump and sensor are very expensive, and also physically because there are still setbacks with the sensor. A common problem is the delay of the blood sugar reading, I commonly feel low before my insulin pump tells me, and consequently will tell me I am low when I am already combating the low. In terms of work my modified body may liberate me from medial tasks, but it does create more work. I had to take the time to learn how to use a new piece of technology, I have to interact with it regularly and I must change the supplies in order for it to work properly.

Technology has taken my natural body’s failing aspects and enabled me to live a healthier lifestlye (p. 53). I have fully embraced and incorporated my life with technology; my insulin pump and sensor are now an integral part of my identity. It is a part of myself that I like and dislike simultaneously. I like that it keeps me healthy, but I dislike that it is now part of my body image that I need to work around. "The body and its marker", diabetes, are combined parts of my identity now (p. 54). I do not remember what I did before my insulin pump and find it extremely odd when I do not have it on. It is there and I no longer notice it, like someone who wears glasses does not notice they are wearing glasses. The insulin pump and sensor has made my life easier, affecting the way I live my life and work. I can only imagine the day where an insulin pump is not worn externally but internally, where I do not have to press any buttons or change any batteries. A day where I do not have to think about giving myself insulin, but my body will know, a possible brain-computer interface for the diabetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment